Thursday 22 March 2012

Survivor’s Guilt

Hello again to Learning Curve. I recently watched the movie Up in the Air (2009) with George Clooney. I can only but recommend this film and here is the trailer for those who haven’t seen it: 




As Ryan Bingham (George Clooney) is a downsizing expert the movie demonstrates well how to deliver high impact messages and captures the different reactions of the employees receiving bad news. I thought however that I would like to talk with u about an aspect of the layoff process that often seems to be neglected: Survivors Guilt

The term Survivors Guilt describes an inner conflict that arises in employees that survive a layoff. It is often assumed that those employees should be happy, excited and relieved and while that holds true for some, there are many employees that survive a layoff who react with a combination of anxiety, guilt, anger, stress and depression.

And to be honest this is not too hard to believe. Just take a moment and imagine that half of the colleagues you spent your lunch and coffee breaks with are gone. Your work relationships are heavily influenced by that and we all know that this is an important part of a harmonious and motivated working environment, am I right?

But it is not just the working relationships that can affect you negatively. The question of how all the work is going to get done with so few employees around arises. The prospect of being stretched so thin, possibly beyond your area of expertise may just seem impossible. I remember my mother, being very stressed and upset about exactly this phenomenon when her department was downsizing.

But lets talk a bit more about where this inner conflicted is coming from. Hodgkinson and Stewart (1991: 166) explain that the feeling of guilt can be understood as an unconscious attempt to deny or undo a sense of helplessness.

This helplessness is also associated with the loss of certainty or in psychological terms the loss of faith. I am not talking about religious faith here but about the fact that A follows B, so the faith that life has a certain continuity or predictability. And even though we may deny it, but we all do love our certainties in life: the same coffee shop girl that knows your order as soon as you come in, the same bathroom cubicle or even if it is just your favourite tea mug.

I count myself lucky that I have not yet been in a position to experience Survivors Guilt but I am very curious about it. Hence I would love if you could share your experiences with me if you have ever been exposed to a situation where you survived a layoff and how you felt during this process. Moreover I am curious how your managers tried to accommodate you during this difficult phase?

Thank you all and see you soon, Laura

13 comments:

  1. I've seen the movie today. Great film, which has definitely changed my point of view regarding to conflict management. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oliver,

      thanks for your comment. It is a great movie isn't it? It really depicts the different behaviors and attitudes of people in conflict situations well. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Laura

      Delete
  2. I know this movie and I know someone who was in pretty much the same situation. She also survived a layoff but then she was afraid to say "No" when her colleges ask her for a favour, because she permanently had in her mind, that she could be the next one who's got to leave.
    The result was, she got a burn-out and wasnt able to work for more than 6 month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rowena,

      thank you for sharing the story of your friend. It must have been a terrible position for her to be in and I hope she is better now.

      Laura

      Delete
  3. I've never experienced the Survivors Guilt, for which I am extremely grateful! I think that nowadays people are genuinely more exposed to stress, stress from work, the society or just everyday chores. Facing a situation where a possible lay off is on the table makes people nervous as it is. It is understandable that after surviving such a situation people might feel insecure about their own jobs and worried that they'll have increased workload. When facing downsizing, managers need to make sure that they explain the situation and reassure the remaining staff that they are valued members of the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Magi Stoimenova,

      I agree with you that the daily stress level of most people is very high nowadays. I also think you have recognised very correctly that it is the managers task to prevent the consequences of survivor's guilt. However his own survivor's guilt should not be forgotten in this scenario.

      Thank you for sharing your opinion, Laura

      Delete
  4. This is all very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the movie before and i like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya Laura!

    I have never come across the term 'Survivor's Guilt' before, so it was very interesting to read about.

    After reading this, I can understand how some people may feel guilty after seeing their peers become redundant. Naturally, they are going to feel guilty, as they don't really know what the others are experiencing.

    I believe that if both parties are still able to maintain a solid relationship outside of work and can understand the other parties opinion, then no one needs to feel guilty. :)

    Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice topic and intrested to read about Survivor’s Guilt. Go ahead with more :)

    ReplyDelete